Bringing Women Together Summit 2019
Be the change you want to see in the world: this was the motive behind Vancouver’s working women in leadership positions who gathered at SAP Labs Vancouver this June to address the issue of gender parity in their teams and organizations. Participating companies and their leadership included SAP, TELUS, Sodexo, Vancity, Accenture and Ledcor, with everyone contributing to a plan of improving diversity and inclusion initiatives for their respective organizations.
CEO of Minerva BC, Tina Strehlke, was the keynote of the event. Tina currently leads a team of talented change makers who are committed to helping girls and women reach their full potential. At the event, she shared with the group some riveting statistics about gender statistics in STEM:
- Of all Board of Directors, 22% are women
- Only 25% of the workforce in tech are female
- As early as age of 6 is where females get discouraged and believe that they cannot pursue STEM careers in contrast to males.
Some other key facts from the BC Tech Scorecard:
- 18/50 organizations had no women directors
- 14/50 of surveyed BC organizations had no women on senior executive teams
- 19% – Average female representation on boards of directors
- 20% – Average female representation on senior executive leadership positions
- 0 – board or senior executive members of Indigenous descent
After these statistics were shared, the leaders brainstormed answers to the question: how might leaders in the participating companies elevate female leaders to help address gender parity?
The group then voted for the Top 5 themes which were:
- Training, Coaching, & Professional Development
- Paternity Leave
These themes highlight the central focus points the group found important. They will aid in guiding the next steps for leadership to implement in different capacities in order to work towards solving the gender parity problem in STEM.
BWT is interested in fueling the passionate minds who gather to work in solving one of the most pressing issues in the modern workplace. We are excited to see what was discussed at the Summit turn into actionable items in the incoming days. Thank you to everyone for their open participation, thoughtful ideas and dedication to the cause.